Saturday

a Magic Box...Egg {Cartons} of Creation...more HomeSpun Alchemy™

Each year...

when seed~starting time begins...

we're faced with the puzzle of where to place them. This year...that problem was blissfully solved in a creative and frugal way...by the simple act of re~purposing one (of three) glass and wood display boxes...all were found at an estate sale for only a few dollars each!


Using a small amount of elbow grease, paint and time it was transformed into an enchantingly useful miniature green house...

a grow box...

an atrium~like magic environment that allowed those tiny little seeds room...light...and love enough to sprout and grow!



~~~~~~


Here's how simple it was.






1.We washed the boxes with a damp cloth of vinegar and water.





2. Next we taped off the glass areas for easier clean~up then we...painted!





3. Once dry...it was lined with brown paper (from a Trader Joe's bag) and our young seedlings were set inside. The box was then set atop a small, south~facing table in our nook! FYI: We used an existing hinge on the arm to keep the lid propped open, thus ensuring proper air circulation (to avoid the development of mold).






Hint: A thrifted, stainless creamer was the perfect solution for making watering our seedlings simple and efficient.






Practical Magic...





and Earthly Delights Sprouting from Recycled Egg Cartons!





I'm always amazed at the ABUNDANCE of

Mundane Miracles and Frugal Luxuries we are offered daily...




if we but look !!!



Hope you're enjoying the gifts found in the mundane miracles of spring...and life!


Sending good thoughts and love to you all!!!


Warmly,


Tracey and Family


x0x

13 comments:

Angie, Catladyland said...

What a cool idea! I'm not a gardener, but I love those display boxes and can think of a thousand ways to use something like that... I love garage sale season :)

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Me too Angie! Seems I can't drive down the street without running into one...I'm even seeing them on Wednesdays and Thursdays now. (Yes!!!)
I do know what you mean about the boxes though...they hold a multitude a possibilities! We still have two more, nearly identical to these. I painted them at all at the same time (saving myself two preps and two clean ups ;). I'm sure they will be appearing in future posts...once I decide what to do with them.

Love,
Tracey
x0x

P.S. LOVED your post about lists and decisions today...it really hit home!

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

What a great idea. Now I'll be looking for those at thrift stores and garage sales. :)

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Thank you so much Brenda! Also...wanted to say how thought provoking your post was today. It was a bit haunting and has colored my thinking all day (but then you have a knack for doing that:)!
Love,
Tracey
x0x

Solange Honorato said...

I loved your idea!

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Thanks so much for your kind enthusiasm Clarice!!! Glad you're feeling a little better.
Love and hugs,
Tracey
x0x

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Thank you Solange! Your egg carton header has inspired me!
Warmly,
Tracey
x0x

dixymiss said...

Oooh, I just love this crreative idea for a beautiful and functional "trash-to-treasure" boX! ThanX for the inspiration!

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Hi diXymiss! Thanks so much for the kind words. :)
Warmly,
Tracey
x0x

Anonymous said...

Tracey what a lovely idea!!

I received my book today! Thank you again! I did a little post on all the sweet gifts I have received lately (my has God blessed me with packages lately!)

Finally got my little garden planted- I just love going out every day to see what new little plant has poked it's head out of the soil!!

bee blessed and thanks for blessing me!

mary

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Hello Mary Ellen...thank you my sweet friend! I must turn around those thanks and say how much I appreciate you for blessing me in return in so many other ways.
Love and hugs,
Tracey
x0x

Betty said...

That is a wonderful idea! You can bet I will be on the look out for one of those boxes:) Happy Gardening! Betty

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

Thanks so much Betty! Yes, once you start keeping an eye out for them, these little boxes start popping up all over the place!!!
Warmly,
Tracey
x0x

The original "FRUGAL LUXURIES" ~ Based on the books by Tracey McBride ~ Established 1993

A warm Thank You to all kind souls and kindred spirits who generously take the time to leave a comment...your encouragement, trust and support are deeply appreciated...please know that we read each and every message and will respond as time allows.

~~~

Frugal Luxuries
is a registered trademark.


~~~


"FRUGAL LUXURIES: Simple Pleasures to Enhance Your Life and Comfort Your Soul" was written by Tracey McBride and published by Bantam Books, NY, in 1997. It was the first of its genre to synergize the elements of simplicity, frugality and gracious living.

After more than a decade, FRUGAL LUXURIES has never been out of print and is now more relevant than ever.

"It's our hope that a new generation, faced with a teetering economy, will also find this information helpful and enlightening."



Sending Good Thought to Our Special Band of Kind and Kindred Souls!

Frugal Luxuries Book I

Frugal Luxuries by the Seasons Book II

    follow me on Twitter

    Blog Archive

    Site Counter